Honoring Your Service

It doesn't matter whether or not you are currently serving on active duty, are a veteran, or are a family member eligible to use VA benefits, you have made sacrifices for our Nation. We will strive to support you in your academic pursuit in the same selfless manner.

Check out our Current Students brochure to get started.

For more information about our VA and Military Benefit Certifying Team and the support that they provide you throughtout the term, please visit their Veterans Page under the Office of the Registrar.

VA Education Monthly Benefits

Check out the current rates.


Military Credit

Each academic college will accept certain credits. Please meet with your academic advisor to see how they apply in your degree program.

Petition for Military Credit Course Substitution Form

To petition for Military Credit to be used in place of college credits, fill out and submit the Petition for Military Credit Course Substitution Form.

Where to go to get official transcripts of your military experience:

Credit Requirement

Veterans' education benefits are assessed based on the student’s enrollment status (e.g., full time, three quarter time, half time, etc…). The maximum benefit is provided to those students who are enrolled full-time. The benefit provided to those with less than full-time enrollment is reduced proportionately. For additional information, please view the Education Benefit Payment Rates for your appropriate chapter of benefits.


Definition Undergraduate Graduate Professional
Full Time 12+ Credits 9+ Credits 9+ Credits
3/4 Time 9-11 Credits 7-8 Credits 7-8 Credits
1/2 Time 6-8 Credits 5-6 Credits 5-6 Credits
<1/2 Time 1-5 Credits 1-4 Credits 1-4 Credits

Veterans Priority Registration

Oregon State University offers priority registration to students using veterans' educational benefits and veterans and military members who submit appropriate documentation. More information can be found in the OSU catalog.

Veterans and dependents receiving education benefits and veterans and military members who submit appropriate documentation have priority registration in order to achieve timely program completion.

Veterans and military members who are not receiving education benefits must submit a copy of one of the following pieces of documentation to the VA and Military Benefit Certifying Team utilizing the VA/Military Benefit Intake Form to receive priority registration:

  • US Armed Forces Active Duty Orders
  • DD214 under honorable or general conditions

Documentation must be received no later than the end of the 2nd full week of the term to receive priority registration for the upcoming term. For fall term registration, documentation must be received by the end of the 2nd week of spring term.

Using Benefits at Multiple Institutions


You may use your VA educational benefits at up to two schools at once.  This is normally done between a university and a community college, but there are some cases that you can use your benefit at two universities at once.  If you are not sure, please contact the OSU Veteran Certifying Officials and ask the question.

In order to do this, you must complete a Parent School Letter every term that you have classes at both schools.  Fill out the form, review it with your OSU Academic Advisor, and have them sign it.  The advisor is verifying that the courses are equivalent and that they are required by your degree program.  Turn in the completed form to the OSU Veteran Certifying Officials, they will take care of certifying you for your OSU courses, and will forward the form to the other school so that they can certify you there.  

Requests submitted without the full contact information of the other school's certifying official will not be processed.

This Parent School Letter must be completed every term that you are taking courses at multiple institutions.

The Parent School Letter does not transfer your State of Oregon or OSU specific veteran connected benefits that you are using at OSU, you need to apply for them seperately at the other school if they are offered.


Eligible Benefits
  1. Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30)
  2. Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)
  3. Veteran-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  4. Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA) (Chapter 35)
  5. and Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

Non-Degree Status


United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) regulations dictate that a non-matriculated/non-degree student's enrollment can only be certified for a maximum of 2 terms or while the student is pending admission to a degree seeking program.

To continue receiving VA benefits after this point, a student must be admitted into a degree seeking program.

Keep in mind that federal financial aid regulations require students to be degree seeking in order to obtain financial aid through the FAFSA application.

To apply for admission as a degree seeking student, contact the Office of Admissions.

Office of Admissions
Oregon State University
104 Kerr Administration
Corvallis, OR 97331-2106
Phone Number: (541) 737-4411
Toll-free: 1 (800) 291-4192

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).