In general, eligible active duty Service members can receive TA at a rate of $166.67 per quarter hour cap with an annual ceiling of $4,500. 

The benefit payment of $166.67 per credit hour will not cover the total cost of attendance at OSU. 

Before you can apply for Federal Military Tuition Assistance, you’ll first need to visit your installation’s education office. There, you’ll receive college counseling to assist you in developing an education plan. When considering an academic program, keep in mind OSU’s programmatic accreditation for many of our degrees. Up-to-date information about requirements for licensure or other conditions and requirements (beyond degree requirements) can be obtained from their college and/or major advisor to ensure that students are accessing the most up-to-date information for their chosen career field. Once you’ve selected a program and developed an education plan, you can submit your Military Tuition Assistance request.

You can visit Department of Defense TA DECIDE. It is a dynamic information and comparison tool that is designed specifically to aid participants of DoD's Tuition Assistance (TA) program in making informed choices on schools and education programs. Click here

On May 5, 2021 the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense issued a memorandum to the Veterans Affairs' (VA) Education Services clarifying the approval of concurrent receipt for GI Bill® beneficiaries of the Federal Tuition Assistance (TA) and the Montgomery GI Bill®-Select Reserve Educational Benefit (MGIB-SR or Chapter 1606).

What does this mean to you?

If you are enrolled in classes at half-time or greater you can receive both Military TA and Chapter 1606 benefits

The Army’s tuition assistance platform, ArmyIgnitED, is undergoing an upgrade and the new link is  

When you have been admitted to OSU, please complete the VA and Military Benefits Intake Survey to let us know that you have been admitted.

If you have any issues or questions about Army TA, please contact your Education Counselor.

How? Start by contacting your unit’s Educational Services Officer (ESO) or representative to receive approval.

Each military branch has its own TA application form and procedures. Visit your local installation education center, go online to a virtual education center or click on the following links for each service branch:


Marine Corps


Air Force

  • What paperwork do I need to fill out to find out if I’m eligible?
  • What documents will I need to provide?
  • What are the dates and timelines that apply?

And be sure to ask your ESO about TA DECIDE, a tool developed by the Department of Defense that gives interested service members access to information about the 2,600+ approved schools eligible for TA, such as average TA costs, course completion and graduation requirements, and estimated tuition and fee amounts.

The military may expect to receive the following from you, all of which is available to you via your My OSU portal:
  • A copy of your student account showing the breakdown of your tuition and fees. If it is before the term and billing has not posted to your account yet than you will need to contact the Student Accounts Office  or call 541-737-3775 and request a Tuition Estimate. Be sure to include your student ID number and state it is for Military Tuition Assistance. 
  • A copy of your OSU transcript. An unofficial copy can be obtained in your online account.
    • OR an official copy of your transcript can be ordered online for next business day pick up or mailing.
  • A copy of your current schedule.
  • A copy of your MyDegrees audit showing your degree requirements and progress towards your degree, or a degree plan that provides a four year road map of the courses required for you program may be obtained from the Office of Admissions Find Your Major page.
  • Descriptions of the courses for which you are requesting TA benefits. This can be obtained from the Online Catalog.

Funds paid to student    
Tuition / Fees paid to school    
Book allowance  


Enroll in your courses only after the TA is approved. 

Once you are approved through your unit for Tuition Assistance, scan and send a copy of your contract to the VA and Military Benefit Certifying Team utilizing the VA/Military Benefit Intake Form.

The Veteran Certifying Officials will process the paperwork and forward the contract to Business Affairs for billing. The university will bill the military for the tuition and fees. The military will pay directly to the business office. For billing questions email [email protected] or call 1-541-737-3775. For all other questions contact the Veteran Certifying Officials at [email protected]

OSU will return federal Tuition Assistance (TA) funds to the appropriate military branch in cases where a student withdraws or ceases attendance in a course covered by TA during Week 6 or earlier in the term. The return of TA funds aligns with the return of unearned student aid rules applicable to federal student aid and with rules put forth by the Department of Defense. When TA funds are returned, the student is responsible for any tuition charges no longer covered by TA funds. For this reason, it is very important that students understand the financial implications of withdrawing or ceasing to attend class.

Using Top-Up benefits may be an option if you plan to use tuition assistance (TA) to complete a degree program while on active duty, and don't plan to continue your education after service. Top-up can also be helpful for just taking a few courses with TA while on active duty; then you can save most of your GI Bill benefits for after service to complete your education program.

To learn more about TA Top Up, visit

Oregon State Ecampus provides financial assistance to currently serving military members who entered the service while they were residents of Oregon and who are using military tuition assistance to help pay for their online classes. Eligibility requirements »